engagED: Our Research
The EngagED project involved four inter-linked phases:
1) A systematic review of existing studies of young people and their civic action with a specific focus on young people from socio-economically disadvantaged communities.
2) Collection of primary data using a mixed methods approach and including:
- Organisations’ survey completed by 175 organisations of which 144 were deemed relevant (31 respondents either did not work with young people between the ages of 14-25 or alternatively did not work with any young people from socio-economically disadvantaged communities).
- Young people’s survey completed by 977 young people from socio-economically disadvantaged communities and between the ages of 14 and 25. 46% of respondents were male and 54% female.
- 22 focus groups with young people conducted in 12 settings located in areas of socio-economic disadvantage (including schools, college, youth action teams, young offenders, looked-after young people, and those working with youth led organisations). In total 163 young people participated in these focus groups (105 female and 58 male). The young people were aged between 11 and 21.
3) Completion of civic action projects in schools and community settings.
4) Dissemination activities including an invited seminar series, presentations at conferences and an end of project event for adults and young people.
A good practice guide, paper presentations at UK and international conferences and several journal papers have arisen from these activities.